Adding YouTube videos to a Document
YouTube videos can be embedded into Documents using the built-in tool in the text editor. These embedded videos can be played without leaving the Document. It is good practice to also add a hyperlink above the embedded YouTube video with a direct link to the website.
Relevant VLE site design principles
- 3.4 Essential: Site and materials content is accessible.
- 3.5 Essential: Pre-recorded videos are hosted in a streaming service and captioned accurately.
- 3.6 Essential: Links and materials titles describe the destination or content.
- 3.7 Essential: Direct, descriptive links are given to open embedded content (eg. video, Padlet or Xerte objects) in full screen.
Video: Adding YouTube videos in Ultra.
- In the text editor, open the "Insert content" drop-down menu and select YouTube video
- Search for the video you'd like to embed and press Select
- Choose the appropriate display options and press Insert
- Open the video in a new tab, then copy the URL of the video
- Add in text above the embedded video, including a hyperlink to open the video in a new browser tab. See our guide on adding text to see a guide on adding hyperlinks.
For more control and customisation, you can embed YouTube videos directly via HTML. Please see our embedded content guide for more information.